EMBL Heidelberg, Germany
European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), Scientific Core Facilities-GeneCore, Meyerhofstr. 1, D69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Vladimir Benes PhD, Head of EMBL GeneCore, born & studied in Prague, the Czech Republic. He has been at EMBL since 1994 when he came as a postdoc to Ansorge group in the Biochemical Instrumentation Unit. Vladimir worked on development of methodology supporting genome-wide high-throughput sequencing, mainly in the sample processing part. In 2001 he was appointed to build EMBL Genomics Core Facility, a technology orientated service laboratory founded to assist researchers with functional genomics projects. This facility is currently utilizing mainly massively parallel sequencing and supporting technologies, such as qPCR, for example. Most recently, Vladimir’s expertise has enlarged by adding single-cell genomic approaches. Among Vladimir’s tasks belong also assessment of new technologies and their applications in functional genomics, in particular their suitability for implementation in the environment of core facilities. He is also strongly involved in teaching of methods applied in this field.
- Versatile workflow for cell type-resolved transcriptional and epigenetic profiles from cryopreserved human lung. Llamazares-Prada M, Espinet E, Mijošek V, Schwartz U, Lutsik P, Tamas R, Richter M, Behrendt A, Pohl ST, Benz NP, Muley T, Warth A, Heußel CP, Winter H, Landry JJM, Herth FJ, Mertens TC, Karmouty-Quintana H, Koch I, Benes V, Korbel JO, Waszak SM, Trumpp A, Wyatt DM, Stahl HF, Plass C, Jurkowska RZ. JCI Insight. 2021 Mar 22;6(6):e140443. doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.140443, PMID: 33630765
- Molecular Co-occupancy Identifies Transcription Factor Binding Cooperativity In Vivo. Sönmezer C, Kleinendorst R, Imanci D, Barzaghi G, Villacorta L, Schübeler D, Benes V, Molina N, Krebs AR.Mol Cell. 2021 Jan 21;81(2):255-267.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.molcel.2020.11.015. Epub 2020 Dec 7. PMID: 33290745
- MorphoSeq: Full Single-Cell Transcriptome Dynamics Up to Gastrulation in a Chordate. Sladitschek HL, Fiuza UM, Pavlinic D, Benes V, Hufnagel L, Neveu PA. Cell. 2020 May 14;181(4):922-935.e21. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2020.03.055. Epub 2020 Apr 20. PMID: 32315617
- Single-cell transcriptomics identifies CD44 as a marker and regulator of endothelial to haematopoietic transition. Oatley M, Bölükbası ÖV, Svensson V, Shvartsman M, Ganter K, Zirngibl K, Pavlovich PV, Milchevskaya V, Foteva V, Natarajan KN, Baying B, Benes V, Patil KR, Teichmann SA, Lancrin C. Nat Commun. 2020 Jan 29;11(1):586. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-14171-5. PMID: 31996681
- Apoptotic Cell Exclusion and Bias-Free Single-Cell Selection Are Important Quality Control Requirements for Successful Single-Cell Sequencing Applications. Ordoñez-Rueda D, Baying B, Pavlinic D, Alessandri L, Yeboah Y, Landry JJM, Calogero R, Benes V, Paulsen M. Cytometry A. 2020 Feb;97(2):156-167. doi: 10.1002/cyto.a.23898. Epub 2019 Oct 11. PMID: 31603610